Three Militant Commanders Arrested, 35 Terrorists Killed in Balochistan Operations

0

By Sardar Burhan :

At least three commanders belonging to Balochistan-based militant groups have been arrested, while 35 operatives were killed during intelligence-based operations carried out in recent days, the Balochistan government said on Sunday.

According to Shahid Rind, security forces launched a large-scale operation on May 13 in the Mangla Zarghoon Gar area, a mountainous region located on the outskirts of Quetta.

The operation reportedly continued for four days, during which security personnel targeted militant hideouts and camps operating in the area.

“Security forces destroyed many camps and hideouts in the successful operation and arrested three commanders during the operation,” Shahid Rind said in an official statement.

The announcement comes amid a surge in militant violence across Balochistan in recent weeks. Earlier this month, several parts of Quetta came under rocket attacks allegedly launched from nearby mountainous areas surrounding the provincial capital.

In response to the deteriorating security situation, Imran Shoukat had recently warned that the city was facing multiple security threats, adding that authorities were enforcing strict measures to protect citizens and maintain law and order.

Last week, militants also targeted infrastructure in Mastung district, where traffic on the Quetta-Taftan highway was suspended after a bridge in the Sheikh Wasil area was blown up. Armed men additionally set fire to trucks transporting goods from Iran, further disrupting regional trade and transport.

Government officials said the crackdown against militant organisations and their facilitators would continue until terrorism was eradicated from the province.

Section 144 imposed across Balochistan

Amid growing security concerns, the provincial government imposed Section 144 across Balochistan on Sunday, introducing a series of restrictions aimed at preventing militant activity and maintaining public order.

According to a notification issued by the Home Department, the use and display of weapons, pillion riding, tinted vehicle windows, unregistered motorcycles and gatherings of five or more people have been banned for a period of 30 days.

The notification also prohibited individuals from covering their faces in public using masks, mufflers or any other material that could hinder identification.

The restrictions were enforced under Section 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) 1898 and came into effect immediately.

The order was approved by Additional Chief Secretary Home Mohammad Hamza Shafqaat, with implementation instructions issued to commissioners, deputy commissioners, police authorities and other law enforcement agencies across the province.

Balochistan government spokesperson Babar Yousafzai said the restrictions were necessary due to heightened security threats posed by militant organisations.

He stated that security agencies remained on high alert to counter potential attacks by “Fitna al Khawarij” and “Fitna al Hindustan”, terms used by the state for the banned Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and Balochistan-based separatist militant groups.

Yousafzai warned that any unlawful activity or militant “adventurism” would receive a strong and decisive response from security forces.

“All security forces are fully prepared and alert, and all necessary arrangements have been finalised to handle any unpleasant situations,” he added.

Train services suspended

Meanwhile, Pakistan Railways announced the temporary suspension of train services from Balochistan to other parts of the country for two days due to what officials described as unavoidable circumstances.

Railway authorities confirmed that the Jaffar Express service from Quetta to Peshawar would remain cancelled on May 18 and 19.

Officials said the train would operate only up to Jacobabad during this period before returning instead of continuing onward to Quetta.

Authorities further stated that the Bolan Mail service from Quetta to Karachi and the Chaman Passenger train service had already been suspended earlier due to security concerns.

The latest developments reflect the continuing security challenges in Balochistan, where authorities have intensified counterterrorism measures amid a rise in attacks targeting infrastructure, transport routes and civilian areas.

About Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *