Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi Visits Tehran Amid Ongoing Regional Tensions
By Sabeeh Zanair :

Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi travelled to Tehran on Wednesday for meetings with senior Iranian officials, according to Iran’s state-run Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA), which cited informed diplomatic sources in Islamabad.
According to the report, Naqvi departed for Tehran to hold consultations with Iranian authorities as regional tensions surrounding the ongoing Iran-US-Israel conflict continue to dominate diplomatic engagements across the Middle East.
The visit marks Naqvi’s second trip to Iran within less than a week.
During his previous visit, the Pakistani interior minister held meetings with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni.
According to Iranian media reports, Naqvi spent nearly 90 minutes in a private meeting with President Pezeshkian at the Presidential Administration, while his overall stay at the complex lasted approximately three hours.
During the meeting, President Pezeshkian praised what he described as the responsible cooperation of Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq in preventing their territories from being used for armed operations against Iran.
The Iranian president also appreciated Pakistan’s diplomatic role during recent regional tensions, particularly efforts by the country’s political and military leadership in supporting ceasefire stabilisation initiatives.
The visit comes amid escalating rhetoric between Iran, the United States and Israel despite an existing ceasefire that has largely held since early April following nearly 40 days of conflict.
Meanwhile, Iran’s Revolutionary Guards warned that any renewed attacks by the US or Israel would trigger a wider regional war extending beyond the Middle East.
“If the aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will this time spread far beyond the region,” the Guards said in a statement carried by Sepah News.
The warning followed remarks by US President Donald Trump, who said Washington could resume strikes against Iran within days if a settlement was not reached.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi also warned on X that any “return to war will feature many more surprises”.
At the same time, diplomatic efforts aimed at ending hostilities appear to be continuing. US Vice President JD Vance said there had been “a lot of progress” in negotiations with Tehran regarding a possible agreement.
Oil markets and shipping activity in the Gulf region have also been closely monitored due to fears over the security of the Strait of Hormuz, a critical global energy corridor.
According to shipping data, two Chinese oil tankers carrying Iraqi crude successfully exited the Strait of Hormuz on Wednesday, raising hopes that the conflict may move toward de-escalation.
The ongoing conflict has severely disrupted regional energy supplies and maritime operations, while concerns have also emerged regarding attacks on strategic infrastructure, including the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the UAE.
At the United Nations Security Council, Pakistan’s Permanent Representative Ambassador Asim Iftikhar Ahmad condemned recent drone attacks on the UAE and Saudi Arabia and reaffirmed Pakistan’s solidarity with Gulf countries.
He stated that targeting nuclear facilities constituted a grave violation of international law and nuclear safety principles.
The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Rafael Grossi, also warned that a direct attack on the Barakah nuclear facility could result in severe radioactive consequences extending across hundreds of kilometres.
Despite diplomatic efforts, negotiations remain complicated due to conflicting demands from both Washington and Tehran.
Iranian officials reportedly continue to seek sanctions relief, the release of frozen assets, compensation for war-related destruction and the withdrawal of US forces from areas near Iran as part of any broader settlement agreement.
Although the ceasefire has mostly held in recent weeks, security concerns remain high across the Gulf region as regional powers continue diplomatic and military preparations amid uncertainty over the future of the conflict.